The Center for Fraternity and Sorority Research (CFSR), previously the Center for the Study of the College Fraternity (CSCF), was formed in 1979 to encourage and support assessment and research of the highest quality and educational significance on the role of the American college fraternity in higher education. In 2015, we partnered with the Association of Fraternity/Sorority Advisors to allow all AFA members the benefits of CFSR.
CFSR is uniquely positioned to serve as an advocate for the inspiration, funding, vetting, and recognition of assessment and research related to the fraternity and sorority movement. We support practitioners by helping them build better chapters through assessment and scholars by giving them the tools to advance the fraternity and sorority movement through research.
The Center is based on the campus of Indiana University Bloomington, further strengthening the relationship between the American college fraternity and higher education. Through our work at the Center, we provide research grants, recognition awards, the Fraternity/Sorority Experience Survey (FSES), an historical archive, and an annotate bibliography.
To promote, analyze, interpret and communicate fraternity and sorority research. The Center fulfills this mission in part through awarding research grants, recognition awards, and the indexing and compilation of completed research projects.
A fraternity/sorority experience informed by assessment and research aligned with the mission of higher education.
The Center is governed by a Board of Directors composed of leaders (administrators, faculty, and practitioners) from the fraternity and sorority community and higher education. Our Executive Director deals with the day-to-day operations of the Center, and specific projects of the Center are directed by volunteers, many of whom work at institutions of higher education or for fraternities and sororities.
- President: Kaye Schendel, NPC Liaison, Delta Upsilon Fraternity, Director of Global Initiatives
- Vice President: Jason Bergeron, AFA Liaison
- Secretary: Ashley Martin, FCA Liaison, Delta Upsilon
- Fraternity Treasurer: Will Foran, NIC Liaison, Vice President of Education
- James Barber, College of William & Mary, Assistant Professor of Education
- Charles Eberly, Eastern Illinois University, Professor
- Jennifer Jones, NPHC Liaison/Southern Methodist University, Executive Director of Student Develop & Programs
- Shane McKee, Member at Large
- Pietro Sasso, CFSR, Monmouth University
- Renee Dowdy, Member at Large
- Jeremiah Shinn, Boise State University
- CFSR Executive Director: Steve Veldkamp, Indiana University, Assistant Dean of Students
- Doctoral Associate: Dawn Maynen, Indiana University
- Project Director - FSES: Ari Stillman, AFA
- Executive Administrative Assistant: Katrina Ladwig, Indiana University
The Center works in collaboration with other fraternal and higher education organizations including: